Tuesday, June 29, 2010

First day in Chicago


This is my first post of my blog that i might not keep up-to-date, depends on how much spare time i have got.
July 2010 inaugurates the beginning of a my year that I'll spend traveling.
I know i'm not good at sending emails to keep in touch especially when abroad, where there is always some many things to do and see! So whoever wants to follow me, here you are, you now can become my stalker!

First Destination: Chicago,
Aim: Internship at In These Times (magazine)

To be honest, when a few months before i left and even now, i was excited but pretty sure that i wasn't gonna fall in love with the city and i was kinda skeptical about it
I don't usually like huge cities such as Paris, London and maybe Chicago.
So I was looking forward to it, but was trying to have great expectations about it, as i didn't want to be disappointed.
I'll make the most of it and I'm sure like everyone i know who went there I'm gonna love it!

The journey to get there went well, I even fell asleep before the aircraft took off (had a very rough week end) from London. Rachel (the girl i'm staying with and who is interning at In These Times as well) came and picked me up from the Jackson CTA station.

A few things i'm really proud of: I did wake up on time to catch my train to go to london,
I didn't lose my passport nor my suitcases or my boarding pass or my train tickets, and i didn't miss any planes!
I didn't get lost in the tube (well, CTA here)
Yeah I'm all grown up now!

Rachel took me to a gay bar in her area, to have a 1$ burger and a pint of beer.
I got really shocked when I lit my fag on the terrace and the doorman asked me to go outside, well, he meant behind the barriers that distinguished the bar from the street...
Then Rachel told me that in Chicago you couldn't smoke in public areas, such as a bar, but it was fine on the street... I don't get it, well I guess that's an American thing!
Let's hope that nobody gonna think it's a great idea in Europe!
I went to bed at like 11pm local time, which means about 6 am in france (5am in Enland) whereas i got up at 4.30 on the same day, i hadn't slept for 26 hours!

this morning i woke up by 9.00 am, and i looked for flat during most of the morning, viewed one around the corner from where i stay, which was really nice, hopefully i ll get it.
Then i went for a walk by the lake, everything was beautiful and completely different from what i had seen so far, sand, beautiful blue lake, grass everywhere, there was even a beach for dogs... once again I didn't even try to get it!

After a couple of hours I went back to Rachels to carry on looking for flats... not that exciting.
I'm in contact with a few french people, i shall meet them this week or during the week end, we should go out for lunch and probably a few drinks!

Tonight I'm going to a gig with Rachel of organ-jazz gospel but before we gonna get some Thai food.







No comments: